Before completing a training plan, I reviewed recommendations made by Joe Friel for senior cyclists.
- Strength train year round
- Train 8-10+ hours a week all year
- Allow for more recovery time
- Adopt a periodized training plan – base, build, and peak periods – and write it down
- Stretch every day
- Continue weekly HIIT workouts
- Test for aerobic capacity and lactate threshold every 4-6 weeks
- Identify performance limiters – decreasing aerobic capacity, increasing weight, decreasing strength – and focus efforts on them
- Eat more protein
- Focus on time spent training rather than mileage
- Keep a training diary
This list is not comprehensive, or in any particular order. Refer to Faster After 50 for more detail. I have italicized suggestions I need to do better at.
With these suggestions in mind, I’m ready to prepare an annual cycling plan.