Well, we made it.
Lou and I arrived safely at the cottage. I spent a month plotting how I could safely transport him in my over-used, battered TC-1 travel case. You see, the case is broken. The 2 clasps that safely secure each side are missing. They have been since I acquired the used case several years ago.
Each time I travel with a bike, I have the same discussion.
“Should I purchase a new case. A case more worthy of my bikes. It’s time, and it really isn’t that expensive when you consider how often I use it.”
“No. They are expensive. Why do you need to spend $500 when all you need to do is to attach 2 additional tie down straps. That’s all it needs.”
This discussion goes on and on. And, each time I travel, I do my best to make certain it will not pop open during transit spilling my bike, and at its parts, on the tarmac somewhere.
You see, the problem is I have to re-open the case every time it is checked at the airport. It seems non of the airport scanners are not large enough for over-sized baggage. Once I have it secured, the last thing I want to do is re-open it. It is not easy to close again. The straps fall off. The combination lock is finicky, not wanting to close. And, because I have to remove parts to be scanned, I am never really sure if all the parts, and tools, are back in the case. I once arrived home without the wheel quick release skewers. They were probably left on the examination table in my hast. That’s the other thing. I am always in a such a hurry to catch my flight. The last thing I want to do is re-open that case.
I had a new strategy this trip.
Thanks to a quick witted, generous sole working at Home Depot, I figured out how to keep the additional straps on the box. Double-sided velcro.
Why didn’t I think of that?
The velcro keeps the straps in place when I re-open the case for inspection, and making it easier to cinch down again. And, I packed fewer items, making it much easier to re-close the box. It seems I was stuffing way to much inside. Instead, I packed my shoes, cleats, helmet, and all my kits in either my carry on knapsack or other checked bag.
Voila! Problem solved. $500 saved.
And not only that, I was able to better protect the carbon frame, forks, and seat post. Again, my new found Home Depot friend suggested insulation wrap used to cover pipes.
Foam, self seal pipe insulation!
It’s easy to install. Easy to remove. And, re-usable.
See, you can teach an old dog new tricks 😆
And bubble wrap! Necessity the mother of invention again.
I used to use the bible wrap exclusively but find it more difficult to use and keep popping the bubbles. The foam pipe insulation works much better. Easier to use. Lasts longer (no bubbles to pop). and stores easily in the box.
Bible wrap tends to be a bit preachy…
😂 not sure how that happened 🤔
I like the idea of bible wrap!
😂 that darn spell checker
I’ve been a victim too recently (too quick to press the send button 🔘
Good thinking all round.
🙏 Problem solved, finally.
That pipe insulation is the best for packing bikes. I used so much of it when I was packing all my bikes to ship them to Australia. They all arrived unscathed.