Always travel prepared. Flat tires are common. You don’t want to be stranded miles from home. Get a saddle pak and carry the following items.
- Tire levers. You only need 1 but carry an extra just in case one breaks or you have a troublsome tire to remove.
- Spare tube. It is quicker and easier than having to patch the flat. Sometimes, a pin hole cannot be identified without water.
- CO2 cartridges. Take two just in case you make a mistake.
- Multi-tool. You may have to make minor adjustments to your brakes, derrailers, seat post height or handlebars.
- Money. Take some cash along in case of an emergency or a coffee break.
And, make certain you know how to change and inflate the tube. If you have never removed a tire or used a CO2 cartridge, I would suggest you practice before taking a long ride.
Here is a short video lesson in case you have not done it before.